Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Morning Sweep

A second man has been arrested in connection with last week's brutal attack that left an openly gay Queens man hospitalized.

New York's Court of Appeals heard arguments yesterday in two cases that could have a profound impact on how New York defines same-sex marriage. The Alliance Defense Fund suits contend that Westchester and the Civil Service Department have no right to extend benefits to same-sex couples who are legally married in out-of-state jurisdictions.

In last night's mayoral debate between Mike Bloomberg and Bill Thompson, the "lightning round" included the question "Has President Obama done enough for gay rights?" Bloomberg said no. Thompson said “He’s been there nine months.” Then when pressed for a "yes or no" response, said yes.

NYC Council Speaker Christine Quinn spoke at the Equality March rally over the weekend, urging opponents of same-sex marriage to ""look me in the eye and tell me I am less of a person that you are; look me in the eye and tell me my family is worth less than yours; look me in the eye and tell me I am not an American."

No comments: